Sunday, July 30, 2006

I know it's just over this hill...


So, I cruised around our North Valleys today. Even after taking a tougher route to get there, I hit a particular hill and - instead of turning around like I did last time - climbed it. Part of my energy came from the belief that just over the hill is a connecting road that would make a perfect loop.

I was crestfallen when I saw the sign "pavement ends" - and the dirty, dirty evidence that the sign did not lie. So, I made a left and found another nice loop, even finding a surprise "nature study area" that I'll have to investigate later.

Truth be told, however, the dirt road probably saved me. When I got home and looked at the map, I realized that that connecting road "just over the hill" was still miles and miles and miles away! Well... lucky me that they hadn't completed that connection, eh?

Still, this was the longest ride I've taken thus far (not by much), and I feel like I really am getting much stronger and much better at climbing those hills.

Although, I'm still probably not safe from another conversation like I had recently with someone watching me struggle up a 6% grade hill.

"You're not one of those people who saves their gears, are you?"

"I'm already in the last gear. This is it. I'm not saving anything."

"Oh."

Absolute silence punctuated only by my gasping and panting.


Ah, well. You've got to start somewhere, right? And I still look at it this way: this excess weight is a fantastic training tool. When I drop it, I will shoot up those hills like a rocket!

Today's Ride: 23.09 miles in 1:43:58. Average speed: 13.3 mph. Total ascent: 1049', valley to peak: about 300'.

Hey, look! I've got pictures again! (And yes, I do wear a helmet, (sun)glasses, and a mirror. But I took them off in the hopes of a better picture. Looks like I should have left them on. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look good and are doing great! Keep it up! Reading you blog always brings a smile to my face when I get discouraged. You are a funny person.

Karen said...

Thanks a bunch! I always appreciate comments, especially the encouraging ones.